Get in touchContact

Please read the FAQ section before getting in touch.

The Office of Johnny Mercer experiences high levels of enquiries. Unfortunately, there are areas or situations where an MP cannot help. You must also be a resident in Johnny’s constituency area to request help.

What are your views on a specific policy or issue in Parliament?

A Member of Parliament spends a lot of their week, apart from recess periods, in Parliament.

A lot of that work is to do with policies and legislation that affect everyone across the UK.

If you have a specific query and want to see my views on it, please get in touch with my office.

Can you help me with a legal issue?

As a Member of Parliament, I am not in a position nor do I have the expertise to assist in legal cases.

You may find it helpful to contact one of the following organisations:

The Bar Pro Bono Unit
Helpline: 020 7611 9500
A charity which helps to find pro bono (free) legal assistance from volunteer barristers

Civil Legal Advice
Helpline: 0345 345 4345
Free legal advice in England and Wales if eligible for legal aid

Law Centres Network
Offers face to face legal advice to local residents

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates immigration advisers. The OISC website provides a list of legally qualified professionals that can assist with immigration law issues.

I want to escalate a complaint to an ombudsman. How can you help?

The purpose of an ombudsman is to investigate complaints about a public or private sector organisation. Areas covered by ombudsmen include housing, local government, finance, and telecommunications. A full list of ombudsmen is available on the Citizens Advice website:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) is responsible for investigating complaints from individuals who feel they have been treated unfairly by or have received poor service from UK government departments, the NHS in England and other UK public organisations. By law, complaints about Government departments and other public organisations must be referred to the PHSO by an MP. Complaints about the NHS can be submitted directly to the PHSO, or through an MP.

Complainants must have gone through an organisation’s internal complaints procedure and received a final response before submitting a complaint to the PHSO.

More information about the PHSO can be found at:

Can you help with planning permission issues?

Plymouth City Council is the Local Authority responsible for granting planning permission within the city boundary.

Comprehensive information about current planning applications, as well as the processes involved in obtaining planning permission, is available on the Council’s website: Alternatively, you may wish to call 01752 304366 or email

The Council’s online planning system allows members of the public to monitor the progress of applications, view decisions, and directly comment on specific applications.

If you have any concerns about a proposed development, I would suggest contacting the Council in the first instance, and speaking to the relevant Planning Officer. As a Member of Parliament, I am in a position to represent the views of constituents with regard to planning applications but I do not have a statutory role within the Council, nor do I sit on its Planning Committee.

Can you help me with an issue I'm having with Plymouth City Council?

As the Local Authority, Plymouth City Council provides a wide range of services to constituents. The Council’s website,, provides a comprehensive signposting service, with contact details for various departments.

Plymouth City Council Contact Centre: 01752 668000

The Council’s 1st Stop shop in the city centre (71 New George Street) is open from Monday to Saturday, and offers the opportunity to speak to customer advisors about a wide range of issues, including housing, Council Tax and benefits.

Ward Councillors are in a position to represent the interests of constituents, and you may find it helpful to contact one of your local Councillors in the first instance. A full list of Councillors and their contact details can be found on the Council’s website here

I am happy to make representation to the Council on behalf of constituents, with regard to on-going issues or unresolved complaints.

Can you help me with a tax credit / benefits issue?

If you have an on-going issue with HMRC or the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), I am able to make enquiries, request clarification and submit complaints on behalf of constituents. In the first instance, I would suggest contacting the relevant department to try and resolve the issue, and keeping a record of correspondence and contact.

The Citizens Advice website offers comprehensive advice on a wide range of welfare issues.

I have a housing issue. Where can I go for help?

The Plymouth City Council Housing Options Service provides advice and assistance on a wide range of social housing issues. If you are homeless, at risk of homelessness, or require assistance with moving into the private rented sector, I would advise you to visit the Council’s 1st Stop shop at 71 New George Street. Alternatively, you may wish to call 01752 305496 or email

There is a shortage of social housing in Plymouth, and a high demand for temporary accommodation. Individual circumstances are assessed by the Council, in order to determine the level of need. I am unfortunately unable to personally make housing available for constituents in need, but I can request clarification and consideration of constituents’ circumstances.

Other sources of advice on housing issues include:

PATH (Plymouth Access To Housing)
01752 255889
Harwell Centre, 28-42 Harwell Court, Western Approach, Plymouth, PL1 1PY

03301 755 121
Ernest English House, Buckwell Street, Plymouth, PL1 2DA

Plymouth Online Directory

I have an issue with welfare / health and social care. What can you do?

As a Member of Parliament, I can make enquiries and submit written complaints on behalf of constituents. In the first instance, I would advise making contact with the relevant organisation, in an attempt to explain a situation, resolve an issue or seek assistance.

There are a number of local organisations and charities which can provide expert advice and guidance in this regard, including:

Advice Plymouth
03444 111 444

Plymouth Online Directory

Healthwatch Devon has a full list of organisations that can assist with complaints about healthcare providers, including Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust and Plymouth Community Healthcare CIC.
0800 520 0640

    Please read the FAQ section above before submitting an enquiry or calling the office.

    If you still need to contact us, use the form opposite or

    Call us on
    01752 876979

    Write to us at
    Johnny Mercer MP, 2d Pemros Road, St Budeaux, Plymouth, PL5 1ND

    Would you like to receive our email newsletter?

    Johnny sends out regular newsletters keeping his constituents abreast of his most recent work. Get yours, delivered free, straight to your inbox.

    Johnny Mercer logo
    Promoted by Cara Dyer on behalf of Johnny Mercer.
    01752 876979
    2d Pemros Road, St Budeaux, Plymouth, PL5 1ND
    Follow me
    View our privacy and cookie policies